WHAT TO DO . . .
WHEN THERE’S NOTHING TO DO
As we all have started to adjust to our new, hopefully, temporary 2020 Coronavirus routines, many of us, including The Wally Gudgell Group, have begun to find isolation, shelter in place, and social distancing a little monotonous.
Like you, we too in these first weeks of isolation, have discovered a real pressure in the question WHAT TO DO WHEN THERE’S NOTHING TO DO. The simple abundance of extra, or downtime has left us surfing and longing for the fun seen on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, or featured on our national and local news.
You may be asking, “What can we do with all this time at home? What family-friendly fun can we have sheltered in place to celebrate Spring’s arrival?” Whether you’re tucked away on Orcas in the beautiful San Juan Islands, poolside in Florida with a quickly dwindling wine cellar, or in a posh high-rise condominium atop Capitol Hill; we enthusiastically offer nine ideas to stay busy and sane while practicing Covid-19 isolation.
Please know you can reach our team by email or phone to help answer any real estate questions you may have regarding Idea #1, DREAMING OF AN ISLAND HOME. Whether you’re buying or selling land, residential homes, or businesses, we are here! We can also help with several other ideas from determining the optimal DIY project for home renovation projects, to merely chatting about our fantastic island lifestyle in the San Juan Islands.
Happiness and Health – The Wally Gudgell Group
Dear Clients and Friends,
As you can well imagine, Coronavirus is on the minds of everyone, specifically those of us who call Western Washington home. To review the possible impact of COVID-19 on the real estate market, whether you’re in the process or planning to buy or sell a home, please visit the below link to Matthew Gardner’s March 09, 2020, COVID-19 ECONOMIC IMPACT.
If you have questions about how COVID-19 may impact your real estate goals, please call our office, we are here to help.
Wishing Everyone Good Health
Dear Clients and Friends,
Please find a link below to Matthew Gardner’s Full Report for the Western Washington Real Estate Market Q4 2019 including some compelling reasons now is again a great time for sellers in the San Juan Islands.
Reviewing Matthew’s Q4 2019 Report, as expected our seasonal slow paired with continued inventory shortages place San Juan County with the lowest number of home sales. In the same breath San Juan County LEADS Western Washington for Q4 2019 with a spike in home price growth to a 12% increase over the third quarter of 2019. This increase in home sale prices and inventory shortage should encourage many sellers to list this spring, adding to inventory to positively impact our Q1 for 2020. Should you have questions how these figures impact your real estate portfolio, how it measures up or if you need a realtor, feel free to call, I’d love to discuss your real estate goals.
PARADISE HAS AN ADDRESS —
It’s 48° 32′ 16.836” N, 122° 48′ 49.7808” W
Washed in the sun’s glow beneath the classic baby blue skies of the San Juan Islands and nestled into the teal blues of the Salish Sea where harbor seals, orcas and eagles pass; paradise can be found.
5614 Spencer Road is a southwest facing, sunny, contemporary 19.67-acre Blakely Island waterfront compound located on the south end of Blakely Island is a San Juan Islands paradise. Blakely, the sixth largest island of the San Juan Islands Archipelago offers community lakes, an airstrip, marina and store, all near Anacortes on Fidalgo Island to the east, Lopez to the west and Orcas Island to the north west.
With over 1300ft of waterfront and views overlooking Thatcher Pass, Lopez Island and the Olympic Mountains, joint use of dock for easy loading and unloading, shared garden, a caretaker, private mooring buoy, a wonderful beach for launching your boat or kayak and deeded access to the tennis/pickleball courts; this island paradise defines summertime dream.
This island paradise offers a high-quality, architecturally designed main house and guest studios for a total five bedrooms, four baths and 3172sf, all featuring breathtaking sunset views over a crystal blue ocean.
PARADISE HAS AN ADDRESS — It’s on Blakely Island
VIEW PARADISE > http://gudgellgroup.com/listing/96482686
Dear Clients and Friends,
Hope everyone is having a good summer season! There are two things I wanted to bring your attention to ( please see attachment ).
1) The first attachment is in regard to the new residential Washington State Real Estate Excise Tax (SB 5998) which is a significant increase for more expensive homes, particularly when you get to $2M and above. This does not apply to commercial properties. Whether it applies to apartment houses and similar structures is still unknown at this time as some of the finer issues are evidently still in flux and it sounds like there may be some last-minute changes. Regardless, this isn’t effective until January 1, 2020, but if you are thinking of selling, you might want to consider trying to make it happen this year.
2) Second are San Juan County maps for various shoreline areas of Orcas. Please note if you are in an area that has a dark blue shoreline stripe you are precluded from having transient accommodations, nightly rentals, on your property. We have found that many people are unaware of this. The revised shoreline code was adopted last year and some of the shoreline zoning boundaries have changed as well. Transient rentals have proven very popular here and can be more profitable than year-round rentals. Some people who want to retire here in several years are purchasing homes hoping to generate some cash flow to help with their mortgage payments until they can retire on Orcas in the future.
In general, market conditions are good but not great, with inventory extremely low. Please let us know if you have any questions regarding real estate on Orcas or in San Juan County. We pride ourselves in being your go to real estate information resource in the county.
Dear Clients and Friends,
Please find below Matthew Gardner’s Full Report for the Western Washington Real Estate Market Q2 2019 which indicates buyers this summer will find 19% more options than they did in the summer 2018. With more inventory paired with the lower mortgage rates this summer buyers who have been on the fence may find their home-buying inspiration.
Reviewing the report, home prices were higher in all Washington counties with the exception of King, most likely due to the significant cost of homes in that area. This migration from King County’s market along with the growing trend of remote workers should be a real benefit to many bedroom communities surrounding King. Should you have questions about how these figures impact your real estate portfolio, our growing island economy, how your portfolio measures up or if you need a Realtor, feel free to call, I’d love to discuss your real estate goals.
7 FUN WAYS TO CELEBRATE OUR ORCA WHALES
World Orca Day is a great time to think about celebrating our magnificent neighbors and spread awareness about their plight in the wild.
As you may know Orcas face many challenges. These days, orcas—also known as killer whales, blackfish and seawolves— are threatened by diminishing food sources, pollution, oil spills, and more. Here are a few ways you can celebrate and show your support for orcas.
1. Adopt an orca. By symbolically “adopting” a wild orca, you’ll be supporting initiatives for clean, healthy oceans where orcas can thrive. Plus, you can get an adorable plush orca and a cookie cutter as a thanks for your donation. https://whalemuseum.org/collections/adopt-an-orca
2. Make orca cookies. What else would you do with the above cookie cutter? https://www.amazon.com/Orca-Killer-Whale-Cookie-Cutter/dp/B00Y3KO28Y
3. Watch orcas in action. Whether they’re making a paddle boarder giggle, giving themselves massages, or battling sharks, orcas in the wild never fail to entertain. You’ll find fantastic tours available daily throughout the San Juan Islands; be it by land, sea or air VisitSanJuans.com can help find the right fit. https://www.visitsanjuans.com/what-to-do/all-san-juan-islands/whale-watching
4. Learn more about orcas, know the difference between resident, transient, and offshore orcas? Brushing up with NOAA on your basic orca knowledge can help spread the word. https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/species/killer-whale
5. Get a tattoo. For the super dedicated orca lovers out there, what better way to show your dedication than to get a permanent tribute of the whales on your skin? (Though you can also be less committal with a temporary tattoo.) https://www.etsy.com/market/orca_tattoo
6. Blog and share on social media platforms about the orcas. Sharing fun facts about orcas helps to educate your followers; and sharing your whale watching photos and videos helps your followers get excited about their unique lives. Saving the orcas won’t happen unless more people care. https://www.whaleresearch.com/blog
7. Get yourself or friends and family orca swag showing your support for the stewardship of orca whales. https://whalemuseum.org/collections/merchandise
Just wanted to make sure that you knew that the Washington State Legislature passed an additional real estate excise tax as well as relaxed condominium law so that construction defect insurance is not so onerous. Washington state real estate tax has long been 1.28 %. The new rate went down for sales under $500K to 1.1% but went up substantially to 2.75% for sales $1.5M – $3M. Furthermore, for sales over $3M, excise tax went up to 3%, all other sales remain at 1.28%. These new rates take effect first of next year.
For More How the New Tax Will Affect Your Taxes Please Read KREM’s Article Below:
Dear Clients and Friends,
Please find below Matthew Gardner’s Full Report for the Western Washington Real Estate Market Q1 2019 including some compelling information regarding our hyper-local market and what we may expect as we move into the summer season.
Reviewing the report, as expected our slow season placed San Juan County with the lowest number of home sales, however, in the same breath we lead Western Washington with a 34% increase in home sale prices which should encourage many sellers to list, perhaps significantly adding to inventory and impacting our Q2. Should you have questions about how these figures impact your real estate portfolio, how it measures up or if you need a realtor, feel free to call, I’d love to discuss your real estate goals.