As you may know Orcas face many challenges. These days, orcas—also known as killer whales, blackfish and seawolves— are threatened by diminishing food sources, pollution, oil spills, and more. Here are a few ways you can celebrate and show your support for orcas.
1. Adopt an orca. By symbolically “adopting” a wild orca, you’ll be supporting initiatives for clean, healthy oceans where orcas can thrive. Plus, you can get an adorable plush orca and a cookie cutter as a thanks for your donation. https://whalemuseum.org/collections/adopt-an-orca
2. Make orca cookies. What else would you do with the above cookie cutter? https://www.amazon.com/Orca-Killer-Whale-Cookie-Cutter/dp/B00Y3KO28Y
3. Watch orcas in action. Whether they’re making a paddle boarder giggle, giving themselves massages, or battling sharks, orcas in the wild never fail to entertain. You’ll find fantastic tours available daily throughout the San Juan Islands; be it by land, sea or air VisitSanJuans.com can help find the right fit. https://www.visitsanjuans.com/what-to-do/all-san-juan-islands/whale-watching
4. Learn more about orcas, know the difference between resident, transient, and offshore orcas? Brushing up with NOAA on your basic orca knowledge can help spread the word. https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/species/killer-whale
5. Get a tattoo. For the super dedicated orca lovers out there, what better way to show your dedication than to get a permanent tribute of the whales on your skin? (Though you can also be less committal with a temporary tattoo.) https://www.etsy.com/market/orca_tattoo
6. Blog and share on social media platforms about the orcas. Sharing fun facts about orcas helps to educate your followers; and sharing your whale watching photos and videos helps your followers get excited about their unique lives. Saving the orcas won’t happen unless more people care. https://www.whaleresearch.com/blog
7. Get yourself or friends and family orca swag showing your support for the stewardship of orca whales. https://whalemuseum.org/collections/merchandise